Monday 11 April 2011

Lamb Shanks with Broad Beans - Baklalı Kuzu İncik





On the 18th of April is Passover, Pesach or Korban Pesach.  While we wont be killing a lamb we will hopefully be celebrating well.  I dont know what I will be serving yet but this is one of the hopefuls. 
I like lamb shanks and this is a very easy dish to make.  It includes broadbeans. Now broadbeans and I have a dark past but I have put our issues aside and have learnt to appreciate this lovely bean.

6 lamb shanks
250gr small fresh broad beans
15 very small onions
4 normal sized onions cut in halves
1tbsp tomato paste
2 cups water
salt
oil

Take some oil and heat up in a pan, place in the shanks and brown all over.  Put all the other ingredients into the pan and cook for 5 minutes then add in the tomato paste and mix well.   Add in the water and cover.  Cook on a low-medium heat for about 1 hour-until the meat is very soft. (check water levels as you dont want it to dry out and burn)


I would serve this with either a bulgur pilav with added chopped parsley (1 cup) or a couscous with added added parsley.

This dish would work well in a crock pot or pressure cooker.

No comments:

Post a Comment